When it comes to Brahman and Beefmaster cattle, both are a great choice to start your cattle business with. Both breeds were developed right here in the USA and have been thriving here for generations. Beefmaster cattle are composed of 50% Brahman, 25% Hereford and 25% Shorthorn. In this blog, we will compare the differences between Brahman cattle and Beefmaster cattle.
Brahman Cattle Pros
- Heat tolerant – especially important for gulf coast, desert and south Texas areas.
- Longevity – A Brahman cow is proven to have greater years in production, meaning more possible calves in a lifetime and more money in your pocket.
- Insect resistant – Able to repel insects like ticks, mosquitos and flies.
- Most are naturally horned but a growing number are polled.
- Excellent fertility and mothering ability.
- Brahman bulls have longevity and are very aggressive breeders.
- A great junior program – the AJBA – for youth Brahman kids.
- When used in crossbreeding, Brahman can help you achieve the greatest hybrid vigor — meaning more pounds — which usually also means more money back in the producers pocket if you are selling by the pound, or on the rail. Here’s a great guide about using Brahman in crossbreeding.
Beefmaster Cattle Pros
- Intelligent and docile by nature-makes them great mothers.
- Heat tolerant-important in Southern regions where the climate is mostly hotter but can also be used up North.
- Beefmaster bulls have a strong libido-important for breeding.
- The breed has a lot of hide color variation. While there is a preference for solid colors, you can see Beefmasters color ranging from light red to dark red and some will have white mottle or speckles on their faces.
- Excellent fertility.
- The Junior Beefmaster Breeders Association is one of the fastest-growing junior beef breed associations in the country.
If you’re thinking of getting cattle and debating whether Brahman or Beefmaster would be a good fit for your ranch, the first question to ask is if your environment is suitable. From there, each breed is a preference of what you like or don’t like. If we can assist you in providing low birthweight Brahman bulls for your program, or provide you with Brahman replacement females, we would love to visit with you. Or, if you’re looking for Beefmaster genetics, we have several great recommendations of top Beefmaster breeders we would be glad to put you in touch with.
To get started in finding the perfect Brahman for you, fill out our “Buy a Brahman” form, or give us a call at 979-532-9141 or email email@example.com.